Drive IQ endorsed by Road Safety GB and ACPO
Drive IQ, the online education programme for novice and young drivers, has been endorsed by Road Safety GB and Suzette Davenport, ACPO’s lead for roads policing.
Drive IQ is described as “a virtual driving environment that improves the skills often neglected by young drivers”.
The eight online modules cover anticipating danger, risk assessment, emotional response and impulse, eye scanning, and being a responsible passenger.
Speaking on the Drive iQ website, Suzette Davenport said: “Enforcement of the ‘fatal four’ offences of driving under the influence of drink or drugs, inappropriate speed, use of the mobile phone whilst driving and the non-wearing of seat belts are critical to success and must be combatted effectively if we are to continue to achieve safer outcomes for road users.
“The Drive iQ campaign is very relevant and I hope that people will listen now and change behaviours, instead of having to face the reality of a police officer arriving after an incident has occurred.”
Of the 248 students from Broxbourne School in Hertfordshire who were put through the Drive IQ programme, 87% rated the sessions as “excellent” and the remaining 13% “good”. The school said students described it as “the most useful PSHE activity that they had done during the year”, and added: “All students stated that it would make them think more carefully about safety issues, and that many accidents were not accidents at all but avoidable errors of judgment.”
20mph limits Academy news Autonomous vehicles Children Cyclists Drink driving Driver distraction Driver tiredness Driver training Driving at work Driving conditions Drug driving Engineering Enforcement Events Fit to drive General news In-car safety Mobile phones Motorcyclists News in brief Older drivers Pedestrians Public Health Research & evaluation RSGB news SCPs Speed Statistics & data Teenagers Vehicles & Technology Young drivers