Good Egg campaign highlights 'alarming' child car seat figures
Almost half of children’s car seats checked as part of the 2011 Scottish 'Good Egg' campaign were found to be incorrectly fitted.
The 2011 Good Egg campaign ran between June and September, during which time 67 car seat checking clinics were organised across 22 council areas in Scotland.
Of the 1,827 seats checked, 938 were fitted correctly (51%) while the remaining 49% were incorrectly fitted - either because they were unsuitable for the child or incompatible with the vehicle they were placed in. The Scottish ‘Good Egg’ campaign called this figure 'alarming'.
During the 10 years that the Good Egg in-car child safety campaign has been running, there has been a 72% reduction in the number of children killed or seriously injured on roads in Scotland.
Superintendent Alan Duncan, lead officer for the Association of Chief Police Officers in Scotland (ACPOS) national campaigns, said: “Recent figures show a fall in child passenger casualties which is encouraging. However, we are still finding children who are either not wearing seatbelts or who are restrained by unsuitable or incorrectly-fitted car seats.
"We fully support the Good Egg campaign which helps to educate drivers about their responsibilities in relation to in-car child safety and provides practical advice to ensure children are kept safe whilst on the move.”
This year's checks also highlighted a growing number of car seats purchased on-line. The Good Egg campaign says that in some such cases parents are provided with very little information regarding the suitability of the seat, or instruction about fitting.
The ‘Good Egg’ campaign encourages parents and carers to check the campaign website, www.protectchild.co.uk, where there is a list of certified ‘Good Egg’ retailers, where trained staff are able to provide advice on car seats and help with fitting them.
20mph limits Academy news Autonomous vehicles Children Cyclists Drink driving Driver distraction Driver tiredness Driver training Driving at work Driving conditions Drug driving Engineering Enforcement Events Fit to drive General news In-car safety Mobile phones Motorcyclists News in brief Older drivers Pedestrians Public Health Research & evaluation RSGB news SCPs Speed Statistics & data Teenagers Vehicles & Technology Young drivers